It takes an average of 3 minutes for patients to connect with doctors using a mobile application. On-demand applications have created a buzz and revolutionized the whole industry. Due to its rising recognition, many clinicians and healthcare providers are building mobile apps for telemedicine for the healthcare industry. The healthcare applications allow doctors and patients to connect avoiding the obstacles. The hospital visit can be avoided with online video consultation.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine has been around for a long time, but it has become extremely popular after the introduction of Smartphone and the internet. The earlier healthcare industry was considered stiff to embrace new changes, but in recent times, it has opened arms to telemedicine and many healthcare innovations.
What is the role of on-demand healthcare apps?
Mobile apps offer round the clock consultation, connecting to the specialist with the patients. The users can seek consultation using mobile phones, tablets and computer systems. In this video call, patients can report the symptoms, receive a diagnosis and prescription and list of tests in case any. These mobile applications can be used for online real-time consultation, remote monitoring, image sharing, online prescription and renewal, and medical advice.
Benefits of telemedicine mobile apps
- Comfort: The mobile apps eliminate the need to present physically before the doctor for appointments. Patients have to wait in long queues in the hospitals waiting rooms, now getting a diagnosis from the doctor has become convenient with the use of telemedicine apps. In rural areas, where patients do not have access to easy medical care, are increasingly using mobile apps for telemedicine to get medical advice.
- Time-saving: Telemedicine application lets the user book prior appointment and begin meeting straightaway. The treatment can be started right after the video call ends. It saves a significant amount of time and delivers quick treatment.
- Preserve medical records: It is a great burden to maintain health-related records physically. Telemedicine software keeps records of patient medical information. It provides easy access to patients medical records irrespective of the time and location. The software enables patients to share records with family members and doctors. The clinician can also transmit the records to get a consultation from other doctors.
For medical practitioners
- Affability: Spending too much time in the clinics or hospitals creates fatigue and sometimes turns into depression. The numbers of medical practitioners using telemedicine software are growing significantly. It gives flexibility to the doctors to set up the appointments and customize their schedule. It also enables the doctors to provide a diagnosis from home rather than spending time in hospitals or clinics.
- Reduced administrative work: A major share of the work schedule of doctors is spend in performing administrative duties and doing paper works, doctors have to stay back to complete the paperwork. Telemedicine facilitates the doctors to keep records in digital format. The records in e-form are easily available whenever needed.
- Increased patient engagement: Telemedicine software enhances the efficiency of doctors to see more patients at the same time, as they no longer have to spend time performing paperwork. The patient engagement increases and the doctors can schedule more appointments for patients.
- Enhanced revenue: With the increase in the number of patients, the increase in revenue for caregivers is significant. The increase in the number of patients brings more revenue to the provider.
Notable attributes of telemedicine applications
Patients related features
- Patient identification
- Search options
- Records of consultations
- Online communication
- Medication tracking
- Ratings and review
- In-app calls
- Cloud storage
Doctors related features
- Doctors’ profile
- Appointments calendar
- EHR Review
- Medical prescription
- Recording of sessions
Challenges in building telemedicine apps
Described below are some of the most challenging key factors that Telemedicine industry face.
Compliance with the healthcare law: Telemedicine app developers must follow HIPAA standards while the development of the application. The developers must get a detailed insight into the telemedicine regulations of the relevant market. There are different legislation for different markets.
Distrust in the app: Telemedicine apps are extensively used in parts of the USA and Europe. The apps are yet to be trusted adequately. Qualified and competent doctors and transparent review system can procure interest from masses.
Protection of medical data: The medical records of patients are very confidential and, must be protected against a data breach. Healthcare apps must ensure the security of data. The developer must provide features for identity authentication for increased security and provide encryption to data.
Back end infrastructure of the app: Few third-party services can be integrated into telehealth systems. The developers need to get detailed knowledge of the documentation that suits the users’ needs.
UX/UI implementation: The navigation and logic and layout of the app must be defined as per the needs of the users is to be duly noted that the features and UI/UX of telemedicine apps for patients and doctors are different as per their requirements.